I will be old and jolly on my deathbed, 80 years from now, and people will ask, “Danielle, what is your secret to living this happy life?” And I will say, “I ate all the chocolate chip cookies.” And somewhere amongst them all was my recipe for “Let’s Pretend They’re Healthy” Hearty Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I mean, really, let’s just pretend. We are four years old and we have these wonderful imaginations! We can close our eyes and imagine the most outrageous things, like living in a bouncy house on the moon with our best friend. Or having a white-speckled talking pony. Or that these outrageously gooey, hearty chocolate chips cookies are healthy.
And they ARE healthy. At the very least, they are healthy for the soul. I will be old and jolly on my deathbed, 80 years from now, and people will ask, “Danielle, what is your secret to living this happy life?” And I will say, “I ate all the chocolate chip cookies.”
Let’s talk about what sets these Hearty Chocolate Chip Cookies apart from all the others:
- Coconut sugar – It’s similar in flavor to brown sugar, but made with sap from the coconut tree. It’s got the same nutrient profile as brown sugar too, so it doesn’t really add or subtract any “healthy” points here.
- Whole wheat flour and old-fashioned oats – They add some fiber, which helps us feel more satisfied, but… I don’t know… I don’t care how satisfying a Chocolate Chip Cookie is, I always want ANOTHER.
- Hemp seeds – These are actually nuts and, like other nuts, they are high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Plus they add a mild nutty flavor and texture without being walnuts. Yuck, walnuts.
- Dark chocolate – Hiiiiii antioxidants.
Don’t let ↑ these ingredients ↑ scare you. They are really freakin’ good cookies. I would not be nervous to bring these to any party, give them to any boy I like, or share them at work with Chef. And I mean it ’cause I’ve done all three.
“Let’s Pretend They’re Healthy” Hearty Chocolate Chip Cookies
I will be old and jolly on my deathbed, 80 years from now, and people will ask, “Danielle, what is your secret to living this happy life?” And I will say, “I ate all the chocolate chip cookies.” And somewhere amongst them all was my recipe for "Let's Pretend They're Healthy" Hearty Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- 5 ounces unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5 ounces brown sugar
- 4 ounces coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces old-fashioned oats
- 3 ounces hemp seeds
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chips
In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and coconut sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oats and stir just until combined. Fold in hemp seeds and dark chocolate chips.
Roll dough into 3 ounce balls and refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking. This will keep them from spreading too thin.
When ready, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat. Place balls about 3 inches apart on pan. Bake for 15 minutes. They should still look a bit underdone, but if you let them cool on the pan, they will continue to bake until the perfect doneness.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply