Is there a better way to showcase bright, colorful summer veggies than on skewers? These Lemon Herb Chicken Skewers are farmer’s market fresh with a snappy flavor and they’re healthy, gluten free, and sugar free too. My veggie combination covers almost every color of the rainbow, but swap in whatever you’re craving!
[The following post was originally published on June 23, 2017, under the title “Life Things.” Hence, well, all the life things you are about to read.]
Do you remember when I posted about Easy Oven-Baked Tandoori Chicken + Life Things? I decided that you, my friends, and I needed to connect. And in order to connect, we needed to get personal. Or maybe I made that decision when I posted about Paleo Southern Biscuits + Life Things. Regardless, the decision has been made.
I’ll get to the Lemon Herb Chicken Skewers deets and recipes, but first you’ll have to make it through some life updates.
Here’s what’s happening in the life of Danielle:
1. College roomie reunion 2017! I met Emily and Lauren in Atlanta to *wedding dress shop ♥♥♥* !!! Emily gets hitched to our college friend Dan next Memorial Day Weekend.
2. Update on learning to sail: I’m an expert! JK. Not an expert. But things are starting to make sense. Sailing ain’t easy, just so you know.
3. Julia and I are still on a mission to run 1,000 miles. She’s still killing me at 42 percent and I’m at 38 percent. I know this doesn’t seem like much of a spread, but it translates into 40 miles!
4. I’ve been running at sunrise to avoid the mid-afternoon heat. And the night heat. It’s pretty much just hot any time between 7 a.m. and 2 a.m. And then randomly it’s chilly and I have to wear a sweater. (I’m rolling my eyes at you, Chicago!)
5. I still have a cat and dog. Let’s all, “awww…” at Miller’s watermelon bandana. ♥
That’s about it, friends. I mean, I could keep going — I can always talk about myself! — but on to what you really came for…
Lemon Herb Chicken Skewers!
Summer food is my favorite food. So much produce in season and so many options to choose from at the farmer’s market. I love the abundance of color and flavor. Let’s chat flavor. I’m in awe of in-season, fresh-from-the-vine tomatoes. They’re not even comparable to tomatoes in December. And bell peppers – so sweet and crisp this time of year.
Skewers are my favorite way to showcase summer veggies. I particularly like this recipe for Lemon Herb Chicken Skewers — the marinade is snappy enough to stand up to the fresh vegetables, but it doesn’t at all overpower them.
And talk about healthy! Let’s get out our checklist: gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, allergen free, and low carb. The only added fat is that of the olive oil. My combination of veggies covers almost every color of the rainbow, which means you’re getting a ton of different vitamins and minerals. (Although, feel free to play around and swap in your favorite veggies).
I have a feeling I’ll be eating these all summer long!
Oven-Baked Lemon Chicken Skewers
This recipe for Lemon Herb Chicken Skewers is farmer's market fresh with a snappy flavor. They're healthy, gluten free, and sugar free too.
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
For the skewers:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 bell peppers cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large zucchini sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 large red onion cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
If using wooden sewers, soak them in water for one hour to prevent burning.
In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken, cover, and marinate at least 1 hour. Overnight, if desired.
Thread the skewers, alternating chicken pieces and each of the vegetables. Baste each skewer with the remaining marinade.
In the oven:
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Line two lipped baking sheets with aluminum foil.
Place skewers on prepared baking sheets and cook 10 minutes. Rotate each skewer and cook another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
On the grill:
Preheat your grill to medium. Brush olive oil onto grill surface to prevent sticking. Once the grill is hot, place kabobs on the grill about 1/2 inch apart. They should begin to sizzle. Cook 5 minutes. Rotate and cook another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are crisp.
Christine @ myblissfulmess
This recipe is delicious and easy to make. I let my chicken marinade for 8 hours, and this dish came out with incredible flavor. Next time I make this, I want to do it on the grill. I tested this recipe in the oven because I wanted to see how well it would work. It works great, and would be perfect in a pinch, but I really prefer my kabobs grilled. Something about the char lines on the chicken and veggies that adds such a wonderful flavor. I also want to double the marinade next time, and instead of basting the veggies before cooking, I want to let them marinade as well just to boost the flavor on the veggies. That marinade is so incredible, I want as much of it as possible! YUM! Switched up my veggies, leaving out the cherry tomatoes and red onion but keeping the bell peppers and zucchini and added baby bella mushrooms. This recipe is amazing and will for sure be done again!
Thank you for such a stellar review!!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it.